There are a few different types of tens units: TENS unit (Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation), EMS device (Electrical Muscle Stimulation), or PEMF device (Pulsed Electromagnetic Field). These devices work by sending electrical pulses through the skin into underlying tissues. The pulse stimulates nerves that carry messages from your brain to your muscles, telling them how to contract or relax.
TENS units use small electric currents that travel through wires placed on either side of an area where you feel pain or discomfort – like a sore shoulder or stiff neck. You can read more here about Tens therapy.
How To Use TENS Unit
They work by sending electrical pulses through the body, reducing pain signals, and improving your quality of life. Here’s what you need to know about how to use it:
When Starting Treatment
Ensure the skin around your painful area is clean (clean off oil/lotion) and dry. It is crucial to put the patches on clean, dry skin to make solid contact. If the patch is not firm in place, the stimulation result may differ.
- First, make sure the TENS unit is not on.
- Check the power, if low, charge it.
- Take the pads out of their package.
- Connect the wire with the pads. Make sure there are no pins exposed.
- Plugs the connector into the socket on the top of the TENS unit.
- Place the pads on your clean, dry skin.
- Make sure the pads to not touch each other or any metal object, such as a metal accessory.
- Turn the TENS unit on.
- Follow your treatment program.
- Change the stimulation intensity stronger as long it’s still comfortable. Your muscles may contract on the process.
- A few minutes later, it may seem the stimulation is growing weaker. As your body gets used, you will feel less stimulation. You should turn up the intensity to keep it strong but still at comfortable level.
When Stopping Treatment
- Turn off the TENS unit.
- Carefully take the wires out of the patches. Don’t pull or yank the wires, because it could damage the electrodes.
- You may either take off the patches from your skin or leave them be if you use them again within the next 2 hours.
- When you take off the patches, gently peel them off your skin and place them back onto the package.
- Store them in a cool, dry place until you use them again.
Your TENS Unit Pads Placement Matters!
You should use between two and four pads for treatment, as one may not provide optimal results. With 4 reusable pads, Massmulator TENS Unit is a total package for muscle-stress-free. It is effortless to press the button since it is an LED display touch screen and features a stylus pen.
It is recommended not to use them on two completely different parts of your body. Also, Never place the pads over:
- the front or sides of your neck
- your temples, mouth or eyes
- your chest and upper back at the same time
- irritated, infected, or broken skin
- varicose veins
- numb areas
Lastly, remember to consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.